Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Rockies are going to the World Series!

You may be wondering, "where did that come from?" I lived in Colorado for 34 years before returning to my homeland in the Pacific Northwest in 1999 and when the Rockies team formed in 1993, I was one of their first fans. I was sorry that they named the home field after Bill Coors and his Kolorado Kool-aid, but I hadn't had a baseball team to cheer on since the Portland Beavers and the exquisite delight of going with my dad to baseball games when I was nine and didn't know to snicker at the team name. At nine years of age, preachers' kids aren't too up on their suggestive slang.

I couldn't afford to go to a lot of games but I did snap up the chance to use others' season tickets or complimentary seats. I even went so far as to take my ex-husband to a game where we sat in practically the front row, staring into the afternoon sun on a 90 degree day. But it was free and he loved the Rockies too, so if nobody else can go, what do you do if you're still friends with the guy? You invite him along. And we did have a good time. If nothing else, the action of the game kept him from talking all the time---mostly.

The Rockies' appeal dimmed a bit when I moved West again, but the Mariners never did replace them in my affections, and now that they have become the Good Luck Bears and their prowess has actually surfaced in the Mariners-crazy Seattle papers, I am thrilled that they are coming into their own. We don't know if this is a fluke or if they're actually that good, but I prefer to believe the latter and will be rooting for them to win the Series.

If they don't win and subside into oblivion again, well, that's the way the ball pops up. I'll still keep the home fries burning in my sports-aversive heart. And if you hear anything about how the Broncos are doing this year, let me know. The Seahawks are all we get out here. I'm definitely not a sports fan, but, well, you know, sometimes we imprint with odd preferences. I always did love horses and the Rocky Mountains are my second favorite set of hills.

2 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

The entire city of Denver is about to wet its drawers over the Rockies. We passed a BBQ joint whose marquee sign read, "TODAY'S SPECIAL: SMOKED DIAMONDBACK."

:-P And indeed--GO ROCKIES! I'm cheering for them, too. My sister & bro-in-law are going to try to get World Series tickets.

Mile High Pixie said...

Indeed, Rev. Kit, the most expensive World Series tix here are $250 from Coors Field. This town is half-crazed, half-staring in disbelief. It's like something out of the movie "Major League"--they're totally worst to first! And it's about time; the players and fans have suffered mediocrity quite enough.