Sunday, February 10, 2008

Vagina Monologues weekend

Last night was our first public performance of the 2008 Vagina Monologues. It played to a sold-out house that was highly responsive and each monologue was received with lots of laughs or sighs and applause. We all sat backstage listening to each other's performance of our monologue and laughing or crying silently.

This has been a remarkable experience. Before Thursday night, which was our tech rehearsal, I couldn't have told you each woman's name. Our rehearsals had been few to that point and we didn't have a sense of connection until we were onstage with lights and props and costuming and makeup. Somehow that changed everything and with each rehearsal or performance our connection has deepened and I now have friends across the island whom I would never have met otherwise.

Some of that connection has come through the art work and "passion" revelations that we were encouraged to bring for display in the lobby. I brought my ongoing portfolio of photos, sermons, newsletters, that I maintain as a professional discipline. I posted a photo of myself leading the singing at an interfaith worship service celebrating and supporting marriage equality. Others brought collages, sculpture, paintings, photos, and all of it told a story about the lives represented in the cast. Illuminating!

This afternoon is our final performance at 2 p.m., meaning that I will miss our church service at 4, when my friend Bev's son Tim Anderson is speaking. Next Saturday we'll have a cast party at one member's home.

One outcome has been that several women in the cast have said to me, "you must have such a wonderful church, to have them be supportive of your being in this play. I'm going to come visit." And several have visited, with more on the way. Just last night, several more indicated interest. Who knew? UU evangelism via The Vagina Monologues! Hallelujah!

5 comments:

Lizard Eater said...

Vaginavangelism! Bwahahahaha!

Wish I coulda seen ya.

Lilylou said...

Great phrase! Thanks, LE.

Stephanie said...

I'm wondering how many other opportunities there may be for UU evangelism in unconventional settings.... This sounds like a lot of fun too!

Lilylou said...

I think any time we're open about our faith, we'll attract people.

Peter said...

When I guest preaching on UU evangelism related topics I often do a message for all ages that promotes using famous UU's as an intro to talking about UUism. I mention our faith every time Rod Serling & the twilight zone come up. Did you know....

Peter @ UU Planet