Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Things Go Wrong in Multiples, some days

Not only do I have rodents to worry about, but last night as I was getting ready to go to my book club gathering, the door fell off my new medicine cabinet. The screws just plain ripped out of the wood and the door came off in my hand. Or rather, it swung there attached by the bottom set of screws. So I called and emailed the guy who installed it to see if he could come fix it, but I haven't heard back from him yet. It's not his fault; the door was pre-installed. Probably I shouldn't have gotten such an inexpensive one at Home Depot. But I didn't feel I needed anything fancy, just something that works. I will probably take it back tomorrow, but I can't unscrew the solidly-screwed in screws that are holding it to the wall until I get some help. So I'm screwed until friend Richard, who is coming over tonight to rehearse, can exert a little upper body muscle mass on it.

This morning I got up, went to the sink to get a drink, and discovered that I have zero water pressure. After returning from the gym, I called the company that recently installed a new pump filter on the well. (Actually, I called them four times before I got a call-back about noon.) Once it was light, I went down to the pumphouse to see if I could figure out what the deal was. It turned out that the new filter was already chock-full of sediment. I wasn't sure how to flush it out but, after several attempts, finally got it flushed out and the water pressure is back to as normal as it ever is. The pump guy said that we needed to flush it out every couple of weeks, since it's a very fine filter. Okay, we can do that. It's better than having to do something major with the well.

So: mice, medicine cabinet door, pump. What is this? I'm trying to write a sermon today!

2 comments:

Mile High Pixie said...

And of course, it all has to do with the house/built environment. Your cabinet isn't necessarily bad because it's preffab and low-cost from Home Depot or the likes thereof. My mom has gotten some great prefab action from HD. And you have to clean the well filter every few weeks? Where are you pumping water from, a silt factory?

Lilylou said...

We do have a pretty sandy water table, Pixie. And I expect to get a non-defective replacement cabinet. I think it was a fluke.