Thursday, December 11, 2008

Pete Seeger is my hero...

and on May 1, which is two days before his 90th birthday, we are having a "Pete Seeger 90th Birthday Bash" concert, as a benefit fundraiser for a local nonprofit, Hearts and Hammers, which repairs homes for the elderly and needy on the island. My congregation will also get some of the proceeds.

Last night we held our fourth organizing meeting and had the help of Bob Dalton of H&H, who will spearhead our publicity efforts. We're talking about a setting where all the performers (there are about 20, we think) will be onstage together and, as our narrator describes the life and causes Pete has worked for, will group themselves at the mics to perform songs related to the relevant period of his life.

Our major order of business right now is putting together the artwork for the publicity, so we're all charged with rooting through our old folkie stuff and finding pictures, etc., that we can send to Bob, who will put together the publicity posters.

Second in priority is the set list. We figure we'll have about three hours worth of narration and song, with an intermission. We want to include old favorites so that the audience can sing along and we want a couple of all-ensemble numbers at the beginning and the end.

On the following Sunday, May 3, my music director and I are continuing the theme with a Pete Seeger worship (no, not worshiping Pete) theme, using his songs.

It's a lot of fun to work on this. Fortunately, the Vicodin knocked my back pain for a loop and today I am pain-free and have not had a pain pill since 4 p.m. yesterday. I hope it lasts. I'm ferrying over to Port Townsend this morning for our ministers' cluster meeting, so I'd better get on with it.

3 comments:

Andrew Douglas Morton Ferrier said...

Wow, great idea, a Pete Seeger birthday party concert to support Hearts & Hammers.
Ms. Kitty, best wishes on healing the back.
Andrew Ferrier

Anna Banana said...

Wish I could go to this, it sounds great!

Lilylou said...

Gosh, Anna B, I wish you could too! It would be fun to meet you.

Andrew, thanks for your comment--- the back limps on. But it may be better.