Friday, January 05, 2007

Five Theological Questions

Later this month I will begin offering a monthly sermon series at a nearby congregation, Skagit UU Fellowship in Mt. Vernon WA. I have preached this series several times over the past years and have received very positive feedback from congregants.

There are many theological questions, of course, that we human beings ask ourselves and the Universe; I have chosen five of them to examine. I do this not in a scholarly, highly intellectual way, but through the lens of personal experience, which is more my style. I remember listening to my mentor Robert Latham preach a similar series when I was a ChurchLady back in Colorado and wondering if everyone understood what he was talking about, because I felt a little dim on it myself (and I was a Mensa member at the time---I had not yet let my IQ expire).

The questions I will examine are as follows: Who am I and what is my purpose (the question of Being)? What must I do to be made whole (the question of Salvation)? Who or what is in charge (the question of God)? How do I know what I know (the question of Authority)? And What does my death mean (the question of Time)? These are the questions Robert laid out for us and I think they are among the most accessible to tackle, with a group that is not used to thinking theologically.

So I will be considering these questions periodically here at Ms. Kitty's. You are welcome to offer your own thoughts.

In the meantime, I am off to Vashon Island for the weekend. See you next week!

6 comments:

Joel Monka said...

I had too many thoughts for a comment, so I made a blog entry instead.

Berrysmom said...

Oh goody! I look forward to a rich conversation about this. (I assume you are addressing one question per sermon, Kit? One per lifetime would probably be about right!)

Always on the lookout for sermon fodder...

Lilylou said...

Joel, thanks for your thoughts. I will be adding my own later on this week. Berrysmom, yes, I address one question per sermon. I'll let you know a website where you can view the sermons later on.

Anonymous said...

What's happening with Robert Latham? we heard him preach once and were blown away! Very impressive and inspiring!

Kendall said...

Fascinating, immemorial questions. I would love to be included in future alerts as well.

Lilylou said...

Kim, Robert is an interim minister these days; he's currently serving the Wilmington, Delaware, church and is in (I think) his first year there. I don't know if it's a two-year interim or not. He is a fine preacher and a real inspiration to me.

Kendall, thanks for your comment. Stay tuned; I'll publish the website via the blog.