Thursday, July 13, 2006

Eagle alert!

Sheesh, it almost happened! Sitting on the deck just now, I was watching Loosy the LoveCat watching the bunnies, when a very large bird began to spiral above us, swooping nonchalantly in our direction until my eagle-sensors began to blare. There was the 8-foot wing span, the white head and tail, about 50 feet above the ground, heading in our direction, pretending not to be looking hungrily at the tasty morsel my Loosy would make.

I was scared I'd startle her and she'd fall off the railing of the deck, so I waved my arms quietly at the eagle, grabbed her and tossed her inside and slammed the deck door. Not that the eagle would come after us, probably, but I was shaking! He gave no warning of chattery screeches, which I have been listening for. He snuck up on us!

Now what do I do? It is not likely that this will happen very often, but it sure scared the pants off of me! And I want the cats to be able to go out on the deck without me. I've got to think about this.

I'm off to Eliot Institute, the PNWD's UU family camp at Seabeck WA, on Saturday, so this may be the last post for a week or so. At least the cats will be safely inside for a week while I'm gone.

1 comment:

Lilylou said...

Thank you, St. Mau. I imagine that I will consider a bunch of alternatives, the most likely that for the immediate future, I will always be outside with the cats, scanning the skies for broad-winged silhouettes. The eagles mostly are nearer the shore and rarely fly over here, but this was definitely a warning that they can and do present a hazard.