Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fall Retreat coming up!

The first couple of months of the new church year are always crammed full of activities and start-up events. I estimated that in September, I put in 120 hours, a full 40 above and beyond the 80 a half-time person should be working. It was an exciting time, with lots happening in the church, a UU 101 class to organize and teach, visitors' dinner, a new board to help shape, that sort of thing. In October it has been somewhat less busy, but not much. I'm sure I will have put in at least 100 hours by the end of the month.

Because of all the time spent on ministry, on stuff that really needed to be done and needed me to do it, I have not had as much time for music or other fun stuff and I've been feeling it. I even had a very brief episode of BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) and realized that this only happens when I've stretched myself too thin. Fortunately a little meclizine always takes care of it fairly promptly and I haven't had a serious episode since I was in seminary, over ten years ago.

But it underscores my need for a time of rest, so I'm ever so glad that tonight I will be with colleagues at Palisades for our fall retreat. I'm looking forward to sleeping without cats, without having to shoo them off the bed when I can't stand being pinned down any longer, without having to get up at 5 a.m. to feed them so they'll quit whining. I love them, but gee whiz! I need a break.

The plan is to let Max be outside while I'm gone; the catsitting crew will let him in or out depending on his request, will feed him on the deck if necessary, and my hope is that he will be less crazed by the time I get back on Wednesday afternoon. (And that no beds will have been peed upon. I'm going to put the tarps over the beds anyhow, just in case.)

I will post today's sermon later on today but may not post again for a few days.

No comments: