Thursday, May 14, 2009

Neovita still hauling them in...

to Ms. Kitty's, that is. It's interesting to me that--almost three years after I wrote a post stating frankly that I had wasted almost $700 on Neovita inserts for my plantar fasciitis and felt it was, if not a downright rip-off, at least not right for me--searches for "neovita" are still a primary reason for people to arrive at the ole Saloon and Road Show.

My suspicions about the medical marketing field and its blatant use of rosy advertising to hawk wares of every kind to gullible and hurting people have been underscored in a big way over the past few years, as marketing of drugs, appliances, feel-good curealls, that sort of thing, have dominated the media ads. They are cleverly done in such a way as to convince us that we have a problem and it can only be cured by the purchase of a pill, a machine, a shoe insert, a pad, a deodorant, a toothpaste or some other device or medication.

In addition, it raises our fears about health matters. Do I need a cholesterol pill? Do I need a blood pressure pill? Do I need $700 of nonrefundable shoe inserts? Or do I need to eat right, get some exercise, stretch my plantar fasciia before I step down with my full weight on my hurting foot?

What cured my plantar fasciitis was when I learned from a friend that his doc had taught him a simple stretching exercise to gently stretch out tendons that had tautened up during the night, rather than tearing them by standing full-weight on his feet. I did this exercise every morning before I even walked out of the bedroom to feed the cats and within a couple of weeks had no pain at all. Then all I had to do was decide what to do with the Neovita inserts, because I had cured myself.

At that point I had used the Neovita stuff for a year, adhering faithfully to the instructions of the pimply staff person (where did he get his podiatric expertise? I have no idea but I believed him because I felt desperate). And I was in as much pain, sometimes even more, as I had been initially. What's the definition of insanity? When you keep doing the same thing over and over even when it doesn't work?

Yet, despite how clear I was about my own experience and not denying that Neovita might be great for somebody else, I periodically get hysterical all-caps responses to my critique, saying how wrong I am (huh?), that Neovita has saved lives (huh?), that $700 is a small price to pay for being painfree (okay, I can see that), and that I shouldn't criticize this wonderful business. Some of these hysterical responses I publish and others are just too awful so they get deep-sixed.

Anyhow, if you're a Neovita fan and are reading this, please don't take it personally. If you're getting good results, that is wonderful. But don't tell me I didn't do it right, don't tell me I didn't try it long enough (a year isn't long enough?), don't tell me how wonderful the product is. Get your own blog and rave on about Neovita. You'll get tons of readers who are looking for information. Share your own experience but don't knock others' experience, okay?

I still have the inserts in a drawer somewhere. I could go to a Neovita store somewhere and exchange them, but for what? Yep, just another set of inserts. So really, I did waste $700, money I will never see again, for inserts that have languished in my sock drawer for three years now. And there is no recompense from Neovita---you can't get your money back. Oooh, now I'm getting mad all over again. Better quit.

And that's the last word on that subject.

13 comments:

Dan said...

So, what's this simple exercise? Help!

Also, I wonder if all that blissful meditation is affecting your mood -- or maybe the mood of your surrounding world. You sound kind of fractious lately.

Lilylou said...

Fractious, eh? Just what do you mean by that, buster? What blissful meditation? You mean that head-down stuff? In the past, bub.

No, I think it's the fact that my vision is somewhat distorted still and it's hard to focus for any length of time without a headache.

The exercise is pretty simple but I'm not sure I can explain in words. I would need to refresh my memory about it, but you might be able to find it online somewhere.

The essence of it was to slowly stretch the fasciia in your heel before putting weight on your whole foot. I'll try to find it online, but if you beat me to it, would you send it to me?

craftyrene said...

I have my first neovita insoles in my shoes. They are comfortable and keep my feet in a fairly comfortable position all day. I have several things wrong with my feet not the least of which is that I have a high insole and I am knock kneed to boot! Add plantar Facitis and well I was one of those desperate people too. The second insoles (the ones you have to build up too?) I loved for about two weeks after I got so I could wear them all the time. Then my legs which had taken 45 years to get in the condition they were in started to change to the way that pimply faced boy said they were really supposed to be and I started waking up in the middle of the night with awful leg and feet cramps. I gave up the neo vita and went back to just using really good tennis shoes with supports and well I have decided to try neo vita again but maybe not wear the second insoles all the time and give my legs a little rest at times. I will let you know how it goes but for right now.... Yeah I gave up $700 too. I am just not really ready to concede defeat yet. Rene

kim said...

I have a similar story. but happier.
I was at a county fair, hot and tired, and I saw a chair, so I sat down. It turned out to be in a booth that sold custom shoe inserts that he said would make one's back feel better within a few steps. He elaborately printed my foot and picked the "right" inserts for me, put them in my shoes and sent me walking. Nothing happened. His inserts were about $325 if I remember right. I didn't buy them, but I took his paperwork... A few weeks later I saw some shoe inserts in Bed, Bath and Beyond that looked like his in that they had more complex arches: transverse as well as longitudinal. They were $20. I bought them. And each time I put them on, my back feels better within a few steps.
I think the moral here is that different things work for different people.
In case you were wondering, the ones that work for me are called Walk Fit.

Lilylou said...

Thanks, Rene, I sure hope they work for you now. Maybe I'll try that if my feet start acting up again.

Lilylou said...

Kim, I think you're right on---different things work for different people. And that's good.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms Kitty,

This is Alice again...I didn't mean to offend you with my earlier message regarding your blog only to share that your experience with Neovita was different then mine. While I and about half a dozen friends and family have had a great experience with the Neovita arch supports I concede that it probably does not work for everyone, but I'd been dealing with pain similar to what you described in your original post for sometime prior to visiting Neovita and spent thousands of dollars looking for a solution (i.e. custom molded orthotics, Dr. Scholls, etc.). So was I desperate? Yes... Did Neovita work for me? Yes...

I completely respect your opinion, but also want people to know it is not the only one out there. Forgive me but I'm not very computer savvy and don't know how to put together a blog as you have. These computers are very foreign to me. So once again I do apologize if I offended you, but want to be clear that I and others very close to me have had a great experience with Neovita. I just don't want people to be discouraged about visiting them especially when they can see for themselves without spending any money. As you know it's no fun going through this pain.

On a separate topic, I thought you would like to hear I recently adopted a gorgeous little Maltese. Her name is Precious. She was abandoned and is now the light of my life. I hope this finds you well.

Alice

Lilylou said...

Alice, thanks so much for your thoughts. I am sorry I sounded offended. I'm not, really. It takes a lot to offend me! But I guess I was feeling impatient and popped off. I'm glad Neovita works for you and others you know. That's worth a lot. I am so glad you found your little Maltese----betcha she loves you a whole lot for rescuing her!

Angie said...

I have Neovita arch supports and love them! Highly recommended! Worth every dollar!

Anonymous said...

RUN FROM NEOVITA STORES!!!

Have a long Neovita nightmare story, here it is short: my feet are now ruined and in many, many times worse condition than when I visited Neovita for help. Almost $1000 for some crummy plastic soles later, I did exactly as I was told for over a year also and my feet are now so much worse that I can barely walk (plantar fasciatis is worse and now I have Neuropathy on topy of it)!!! When I finally broke down and visited a podiatrist he raged on and on about Neovita practicing medicine without a license, ruining people's feet,etc. He gets tons of patients that hate Neovita but they are too lazy to write the insurance commissioner, and the medical examiner's office to complain about them. Until people do Neovita will not get busted for the crappy doctoring they do and ruining people's feet (mobility)! Serious business, Neovita should not be doing what it is doing because it is simply illegal.

Overboard. said...

Since I know NeoVita will never respond to you, and being a former staff member, but knowing the field - i can give you a completely unbiased response. (Yes, I mean that)

You see, the product NeoVita sells is a wonderful product. It does work. Maybe not for all, and most of the people who it doesn't work for are using it wrong. (Most, maybe not all)

The COMPANY however, is total trash.

So, about the product - I know not all are happy with it, but it works. YET, I will not recommend it to anybody (unless you already have it...go in the store, have them re-align ya, get your money's worth)...
The kicker is, the "package" they sell you? It costs them about $30 for materials. Doesn't really cost them in labor since the person there is working on commission (15% I believe). The other $550 is all profit.
I've personally had several employees (I work as management for a local drugstore chain now, and make more money) at several stores who had Plantar Fasciitis. I gave them some footwear tips, and recommended they buy a pair of Roth's Fabs. (One of the products in this package) Every single employee that has taken my advice, still thanks me to this day. And it only cost them 30 bucks and a set of new habits.

Unfortunately, the 2 playboys owning the company don't seem to have any business sense, they are incredibly greedy. They way overcharge for the product (would sell lots more at a lower price) then tell their employees they must convert 80% of all the walk-in clientele, even the ones just looking for a pair of shoes...into buying this package. Corrective actions if they do not. HORRIBLE ethics.
The "GM" of the company, Jeff Stark..he basically runs all the stores, but he's a pill popping drama queen who will insult you with a smile, and is more focused on training people to act like doctors for show, than trying to figure out ways to save the company.

Now, as far as "Anonymous" goes, saying they will destroy your feet..Well, your podiatrist said those things about NeoVita because they're his competitors. My girlfriend was working at a Bridal shop and a podiatrist came in..long story short, a conversation came up where she mentioned me working there. He said "I hate those guys!" she asked why, his exact words were "Because they do the same thing I do for a lot less money!"

Yeah, of course he's going to say that he's too lazy to report them. That's because he's feeding you with lies, and you believe him. lol.

NOW THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!
Why I will NOT recommend going to this store, dealing with the terrible ethics of that company, and benefitting from the product, albeit expensive..
DR SCHOLLS.
They just came out with a system which is virtually identical to what NeoVita does.
Except, a machine does all the work. There are a few stores in the greater seattle area, (my store for one, but I'm not going to advertise for them since I'm not being paid). You stand on this kiosk machine..it does everything they do in NeoVita. Then it tells you the size you need. You pick that up, walk up to the register, and don't even have to shell out $50 for the whole thing.

I've noticed one of the NeoVita stores has shut down since I worked there last. (Bellevue)
Only a matter of time before this Dr. Scholls thing puts them out of business, and their lifetime warranty becomes moot.

Sorry for the long comment, but I felt I had a lot of truth to offer on this matter, that I'm sure cannot be found anywhere else on the web.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lilylou said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Overboard/Steven. The same comment came in four times, so I only printed one, the longest one.