Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My favorite kind of day!

This morning, UUCWIers on the south end of the island will gather for SEKK, the South End Koffee Klatch, at Rockhopper's Coffeehouse in Clinton. Rockhopper's is a fabulous venue for coffee and conversation, yes, but it's also an art gallery and music hall.

UUs get together there on the third Tuesday morning of the month to chat, drink Rene's coffee concoctions and eat the hot scones, solve the world's problems, and generally socialize in a local setting on the far south end.

North Enders also have NEKK, usually on the second Saturday afternoon of the month; they meet at the Whidbey General Hospital cafeteria, which is open to the public all the time. They too gather for conversation and socializing in a farther-north setting.

My day today includes SEKK till noon, then a quick trip up to Whidbey General to volunteer as a chaplain for a little while, over to the local assisted living joint to see a parishioner, and on up to Oak Harbor to see about changing my cell phone service.

When I moved to the island, I knew I was going to need to find friends and activities outside the congregation and I've been lucky in both areas. Music has provided the majority of my outside friends; I'm making music with folks two and three nights a week. And community service has provided the outside activities; volunteering as a chaplain is a major interest and the local effort to institute a Public Utility District also has my interest. ( My brother tried to get me to put my name in to be an elected PUD commissioner, but that's more than I can take on.)

Our parents raised us with a sense of obligation to the larger community. My brother has always been active in community affairs, as a Rotarian and as a PUD commissioner in his county. My sister is active in CADA and issues of adoption and foster care. And I am a marriage equality and civil rights activist, interested in interfaith ministry, and now veterans issues.

Each of us has a different approach to religion and spirituality but we are all committed to humanitarian work in the larger community. It's a good way to live. I think Mom and Dad would be pleased.

6 comments:

Miss Kitty said...

PUD commission? What an unfortunate acronym. :-P

Seriously--your folks would certainly be proud of you kids. As I am!

Lilylou said...

Miss K, I am Shocked, Shocked, Shocked...to think that I had never noticed!

Joel said...


North Enders also have NEKK, usually on the second Saturday afternoon of the month; they meet at the Whidbey General Hospital cafeteria, which is open to the public all the time. They too gather for conversation and socializing in a farther-north setting.


"Where's Ms. Kitty?"

"Oh, she won't be in till later. She's out nekking with some people she met for coffee. Come back later when she's nekked."

Lilylou said...

I secretly always hoped that someone would chortle quietly and make the lewdish connection you have made, Joel. At age 66, I find it quite flattering.

Joel said...

66? One more digit and you could be the Antichrist! :)

And for what it's worth, Kitties, we adolescent boys snickered over the Klickitat County PUD quite enough to make up for my aunt's naivite.

Lilylou said...

So that's what you were chortling about!