Friday, September 14, 2007

Ministering at a distance

One of the challenges of ministry I'm dealing with right now is ministering appropriately to people who are not where I can see them, touch them, talk to them, or otherwise provide direct service. I think particularly of folks who are sick and housed in locations I can't get to. There is a sense of frustration and impotence for me and I feel very sad about it. One of the only things I have to offer as a pastor is my presence, and I can't give that to these people. And it's beyond my control, because family and other needs take precedence over my need to be there. State and local regulations prohibit or at least create barriers to caring for these folks on the island (no beds, basically) and they have had to be taken to locations on the mainland.

So I"m left with prayer and contacts with the family and friends who have time to communicate with me. That has to be enough right now.

No comments: