Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Finding Joy in Faithfulness

You know how it is when you wake up in the morning with a new idea? When you feel compelled to go straight to the tools of your trade to start expressing it? When the need to create begins to press at your breastbone and insists on expression?

In the push to write four sermons in a row and preach five (don't ask) in a month's time, I earlier felt like my creative well was drying up, as I started to think about what new thing I could say about "Faithfulness to our Covenant with the Earth", which is this Sunday's topic.

It feels like climate change has been done to death, even though it will never be finished; we have talked about it, cynically and angrily and despairingly, over and over and over again, both in church and in public. I felt very resistant at broaching the subject once again, especially with Earth Day looming and another treatment of it then, this time with the kids' participation.

Last night, getting ready to go to bed, I was seized by a random thought: what if the topic was joy, the joy of our relationship with the earth? Not just our responsibility to it, but the sheer pleasure we take in being creatures in this beautiful Eden?

What if we all thought about that for a moment this Sunday, sharing that joy with each other, sharpening our awareness of beauty, growing things, life itself? What if, instead of being reminded once again of our derelict behavior, we focused on our love and joy in creation? We are generous with our money because of our joy in community; might we also be generous with the earth because of our joy in it?

This morning, I woke up early full of bursting thoughts. My "sermon notes" page is full of ideas written down over breakfast, after a workout at the gym, and now I'm releasing a little more here at the blog.

I can hardly wait to start writing and figuring out how to give everyone at worship a chance to share their moments of joy.

6 comments:

Joel Monka said...

Are you sure you're not Neopagan? My rejoicing in the world, rather than dismissing it and using "worldly" as a perjorative is one of the major complaints my Christian friends have with my heathen ways! I discuss how the Divine wants us to take joy in the world here . And in my personal credo, I state how I offer my covenant to The Divine in gratitude for gifts given, rather than fear of punishments threatened... and now you have stated it more eloquently. Please publish the sermon; I can't wait to read it!

Stephanie said...

I find such joy in creativity. :)

Anonymous said...

How could we not rejoice in our relationship with the Earth. We are not just creatures of or on the Earth, we were created from the Earth. I think it is a beautiful idea, Kit; and I look forward to reading it as well (provided you post it, of course). :)

Bless,

Jerry

Earthbound Spirit said...

Ooooh - what a wonderful inspiration! As I read it, I thought of the sight of a goldfinch flying in its swooping way across my yard, and sharing that sight with my sweetie over breakfast, which led to remembering a fragment from Ted Kooser on dandelions, and I don't know where my thoughts would have gone next.

I don't think you'll have any trouble with people not having anything to share! I'd love to read the sermon when it's written.

Miss Kitty said...

I look forward to seeing the fruits of your creativity! Don't you just love when you're bursting with great new ideas?

Lilylou said...

Thank you for letting us know about your post, Joel. It's truly lovely.

And thank you all for your thoughts. I hope the sermon will be posted. I need to get it underway tonight, if possible.