Friday, March 30, 2012

Max may be gone for good...

because it's now been a week since he left his new family's house and decamped for parts unknown. It may be that he couldn't get used to the two friendly dogs, it could be that he decided to come back home and got lost, it could be that some predator got him, it could be that he has beguiled some new family without dogs to take him in. Whatever it is, it's got both the new family and me feeling pretty sad.

Amazing how all those old bluesy folk and pop songs seem to resonate at a time like this: "are you goin' away with no word of farewell, will there be not a trace left behind?", "just a walkin' in the rain, getting soakin' wet, sorrow in my heart from tryin' to forget", "I'm always walkin' after midnight just hopin' you will be out somewhere walkin' after midnight, searchin' for me." I'm singing the blues.

It's not like we didn't think it could happen. It's not like we had any choice. It's not like we could have protected him from the risk of getting lost, eaten, chased off. If the adoption hadn't happened now, it would have happened eventually because there was no way I could see taking him with me. He's just too hard to manage---too hard to catch, too hard to keep indoors, too hard to protect, too independent and too determined to be on the loose. It seemed like the perfect placement with good friends from the congregation; we figured he'd work things out with the friendly dogs and be fine. And it seemed to be working. Then this.

I keep listening at the window, sure I've heard the telltale mew as he trots across the deck; I think I catch a glimpse of white in the blackberry thickets at the edge of the lawn; my ears prick up at every faint thump from outdoors, thinking maybe he's jumped onto the deck. I keep hoping he'll find his way back here, but I'm not very hopeful. There are "lost cat" ads out there but no responses at this point, as far as I know.

Lily is getting resigned to his not being here; Loosy is thrilled---she's not stressed out by his aggressive behavior toward her. Both of the girlcats are acting normal. It's me who is having the blues.

14 comments:

Jarina said...

I became concerned about his well being since I saw Camille's post on Drew's list. I have been praying and still am that he will turn up and be wiser for it. I share your grief of not knowing what has happened. It is not impossible that he is lost still. I met a woman who was looking for her cat for over a year and did find her!!! I am sure that search parties have been conducted...
I am sending you a big hug. Love, Jarina

Lilylou said...

Thanks so much, Jarina. Your kindness means a lot to me. I am not losing hope.
Love,
Kit

Robin Edgar said...

We once had a cat that was gone for a couple of months and eventually came back. More recently one of my cats decided she preferred to go live in the condo across the street so I let her have her way. It is quite possible that Max is just having another big adventure.

Lilylou said...

That's what I'm hoping too, Robin, thanks for the encouragement

Miss Kitty said...

OH NO!!!! I'm SO sorry to hear about Max's disappearance!

Indeed, I've had a few cats disappear for a week or two or six, and then show back up as mysteriously as they left. My friend Amy's cat returned to her family home after having been "lost" for three years. Emily (cat's name) took off from my friend's new apartment and spent the next 33 months making her way back over the 20 miles to Amy's mother's house.

That's an unusual story, I know. My hope is that Max is out and about, and okay, and will show up soon either at your house or back at his new people's house. Many loving thoughts & prayers heading your way.

((HUGS))
((skritches))

Lilylou said...

Oh, I hope so too, Miss K, I hope so too. Thanks for the hugs and skritches.
Love,
Kit

Mile High Pixie said...

oh noes!!! Oh, Rev Kit, this is really really unfortunate. This is such a terrible thing to have happen. My fingers are crossed for Max's safety--even if he never comes home, I hope he's found somewhere safe to be.

Lilylou said...

Me too, Pixie, me too!

Robin Edgar said...

:My friend Amy's cat returned to her family home after having been "lost" for three years.

It gets better. . . ;-)

Even if Max did go to meet his Maker I think that you did the right thing for him by allowing him the Max*imum of freedom. I can't imagine he would enjoy being cooped up in an apartment or something. It was best to allow him to remain in his territory. I have always given my cats as much freedom as they wanted. Only one disappeared on me.

Lilylou said...

Thanks, Robin, for your kind words. I am beginning to feel better; I know he couldn't have been happy cooped up and needed to be free to ramble, even when it was dangerous.

Robin Edgar said...

I am quite sure that Max would wholeheartedly agree with the following slightly modified Benjamin Franklin quotation -

"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither. Cats willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." ;-)

It seems to be the way of the world that maximizing one's freedom often entails a diminishment of one's personal security. Indeed *some* forms of freedom involve considerable risk such as "extreme sports" for just one example. I am confident that Max appreciated the high level of freedom that you gave him.

Lilylou said...

Max was indeed a free spirit who absolutely HAD to have liberty rather than security. I appreciate your thoughts, Robin, thanks.

Robin Edgar said...

You're welcome Ms. Kitty.

Max will always have a place in my heart even though I never actually met him in "real life".

I expect that he is doing just fine wherever he is.

Lilylou said...

Thanks, Robin, I hope he is too.