Sunday, February 21, 2010

An amazing connection

Last year about this time, at our District Assembly, I glimpsed a familiar name on a nametag across the aisle from me. The wearer was an elderly gentleman with a twinkle in his eye and the name he sported was "Vernon Swaim".

"Vernon Swaim", I thought. "I had a high school teacher named Vernon Swaim." So I asked Mr. Nametag if he'd ever taught high school out in Eastern Oregon, like at McEwen High School in Athena. And he had! It turned out to be my former Algebra teacher, who had only spent one year in Athena but had many, many accurate memories of that year, even at age 85.

He had become a Unitarian Universalist the year after he left Athena for Vancouver WA high school teaching and has been a longtime member of the Vancouver UU Church.

Well, he was back this year again, with his lovely ladyfriend Lora, and I have pictures to prove it!

I'll post pictures as soon as Blogspot lets me. For some reason it's balking.

No comments: