Monday, December 31, 2007

Unexpectedly at home on New Year's Eve

I had planned to be at Seabeck, at Winter Eliot, on New Year's Eve, celebrating with 140 friends, but instead I'm home, after wrenching my back on Friday lugging suitcases up to my room (no elevators at Seabeck). I had foolishly assumed that the muscle spasms I get a few times each year were behind me, since I've been working out faithfully five days a week, and I didn't take any of the paraphernalia I usually haul along, "just in case".

So after a Saturday in pain which no amount of ibuprofen or naproxyn could allay and a night in which I slept almost not at all, I decided to call it quits and come home where the heating pad and meds were awaiting me. It meant finding another ride home for my passenger, but she was cooperative and we managed that, so after breakfast, I packed the car and left Winter Eliot.

It took three hours, what with ferry lines and icy roads, but by noon I was home and able to pop a Skelaxin and lie down with the heating pad. Whew!

Today I have had a good night's sleep plus a couple of naps and am feeling much better. I think I am well enough to join some friends for a celebration at their home, but I will have to forego the bubbly, since the meds already make me a bit dim. Of course, I could decide not to take a pill before I go. We'll see how I'm feeling.

Right now, the pain and spasming seem to be gone, but until I've gone several hours without the back support truss and microwaved buckwheat insert, I can't be sure I'm cured.

Whatever happens, I'm glad to be home experiencing it, not trying to have a good time through the pain at Seabeck, much as I like being there.


Mile High Pixie said...

Good point, Kit. What's the point of being somewhere "fun" if you can't even enjoy it? Have fun at home with your furry pals and ring in the new year at 10pm with Guy and me (when we call Miss Kitty in Georgia and then go to bed).

Jan said...

Hope you continue to feel better. Be gentle with yourself.

Happy New Year!

ms. kitty said...

Thanks, Pixie and Jan. I just got home from an evening with friends, laughing and eating and playing games, and I noticed midway through the evening that my pain had disappeared, though it has been over 12 hours since I took a relaxant. So I think I'm over the worst of it, but I'm still going to take it very easy.
Happy New Year to you both!

Berrysmom said...

Glad you're feeling better, Kit. I have missed reading your blog; just fell behind, what can I say? There is so much to do!

We are close in age, and I very well understand your desire to have The Talks (yes, more than one) with your son. He seems to be responding well. and the FB seems to be rising to the occasion as well, from what you write. This is all very fraught. Good on you for trying so skillfully, and on them for responding.