Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What a thrill!

No, it has little to do with Valentine's Day; it's a larger thrill.

I am a member of the board of the Religious Coalition for Equality, an interfaith clergy organization advocating for marriage equality and equal rights for sexual minorities. We had our Feb. board meeting today in Seattle, to finalize the details of our big rally on the Statehouse steps on Feb. 26, and I have been asked to be one of the speakers at the rally!

This is a huge honor and responsibility. There will be people there from all over the state; we have attracted nearly 2000 in the past, for a day of advocacy training, the rally, and meetings with legislators.

I have secretly wanted to be a speaker every year but never was brave enough to put forth my name. In the past, they've had Jewish, Christian, and Muslim (Sufi) speakers. This year the program committee decided to ask a Unitarian Universalist because of our particular slant and involvement in marriage equality advocacy.

So I am thrilled and all the way home on the freeway and ferry I was thinking about how I will use my three minutes of opportunity to address this crucial issue.

It's only 12 days away, so I need to do some thinking. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Chalicechick said...

Please do!

Lilylou said...

I will definitely fill you in on the details. I meant to say in the post that I didn't even have to put my name out there------the committee came to me and invited me.

LinguistFriend said...

So which of the committee are reading Ms. Kitty?
I expect that you will do very well. I am not clear what slant you have on those things, other than a liberal one, however.
You can practice your talk on us, of course. I find that the level of complications in such issues is sometimes amazing. The laws being written limit marriage to one man and one woman. I have one friend who is intersexual (she has a rare but real syndrome); whom can she marry? She thinks of going to Canada to be able to marry a woman, which is her inclination.
Etc., etc. So how does one conceive marriage to allow for accidents of biology? But you will have your own take on it. LinguistFriend

Mama G said...

Kitty, how exciting! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Stephanie said...

I'm so glad you put forth your name and have been selected. :)