Thursday, June 02, 2022

Nighttime Worries

 I woke up about 3 to go to the bathroom this morning and when I went back to bed, I was beset by the worry that someday I might die at home at night and that nobody would notice that I hadn’t left the house and would not come to check on me.  Not only would I be dead, but Lily would be frantic with hunger and thirst and anxiety and would have no way of signaling for help.

I couldn’t go back to sleep and kept struggling with this worry, devising possible scenarios which would prevent or remedy the situation.  I couldn’t think of anything that would save Lily’s life, if I weren’t found for several days.  She might yowl loudly, but could she be heard from her back bedroom?  Not likely.


So I got up, just to give myself something else to do and in the middle of getting ready for the day, feeding her, opening her favorite windows, etc., it came to me:  the chances of this happening to me are extremely small; I am more likely to be killed in a car accident or some such.  I don’t agonize over car accidents; I don’t need to agonize over this death scenario.  It might happen but it is MORE LIKELY that it will not happen, that Lily will die before I do, and that I can safely remember this comforting thought:  IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT I WILL DIE SUDDENLY AND WITHOUT WARNING AND WILL LEAVE LILY UNCARED FOR.  I am a conscientious cat mama; I do all I can to make her life with me safe and comfortable.  That’s about all I can do.  Amen.


PS.  If you notice that I haven’t left the house in several days, please check on me!  Lily is in the back bedroom with her litter box.  Thanks.

No comments: