Thursday, June 28, 2012

The New Gig

You'll notice that I've retitled the blog.  Or, rather, I've added a secondary title since I'm no longer in the active ministry (i.e., paid).  I guess I am, technically, still on staff at UUCWI till Saturday, at which time my contract runs out, my Comcast address expires, and the post office starts forwarding my mail.

I've spent the last few days packing madly, marshalling the friends who signed up to help me move out of the house, and cleaning up in more than just a desultory way, so that I can get back all (hopefully) of my damage deposit.  I'm meeting the landlord on Saturday the 30th for just such an inspection and I'm pretty confident.  You'd never guess how much grime can accumulate over six years of easy living, even though I've always been pretty good about staying tidy.  I haven't always mopped up every barf mark on the floors, but I've gotten most of them and I had eagle-eyed friends scoping it all out for me.

According to the Merry Men who packed up the cartons and various and sundry other possession and took them to the storage locker, I need to watch for falling items when I go to move things with the nephs later in July.  They apparently stuffed it pretty tight, in order not to need a second locker.  I'm grateful!  These were the sweetest bunch of guys:  Dave Sweetwood, Gene Berg, John Long, John Leaser, Charlie Knutila, John Kron, Chris Bell, and Tom Buxton.  More testosterone in one place than I have been privileged to enjoy for many a year!  They made short work of a house-full of stuff---3 hours total!

Later that day, Terra Anderson, Judy Kaplan, Christi Shaffer, and Wendy Ferrier came over and shined up the place.  They were done in an hour!

So the biggest part of the move is done.  Still to follow are a few minor items to pickup at the house tomorrow or Saturday, the walk-through with the landlord, and, of course, the eventual move to Gearhard with Scott and Justin, the nephs.  I'm hoping they can manage it without me, because otherwise I'd be awfully stretched to get back home in time to do a wedding and a band gig the day after.  My sister suggested that as a solution, which I hadn't thought of.  I think it's a good idea.

So Ms. Kitty is off on another adventure:  free time, less responsibility, more opportunities to follow my interests without deadlines and meetings to pay attention to.  Whoopee!  Let the good times roll!


Judy said...

Let me know if you want some advice about how to be retired. Although, come to think of it, I could use some advice myself. Busy, busy, busy!

A friend suggested that I practice saying this: "I have just retired from a very stressful and busy profession. I am not going to make any commitments for at least a year, until I figure out what I want to do."

It didn't work that well for me, but maybe it will for you!

michiganme said...

Congratulations --- It sounds llike this will be more like 'rewiring' rather than retiring. What an adventure!

Lilylou said...

Thanks, you two. Judy, you've already been helpful to me. It's been useful to sit and talk with you and Duane at the last couple of retreats and I hope to be able to do that rather often in the future, since I'll be closer to Portland.

Earthbound Spirit said...

Congratulations on your retirement, Kit! Enjoy relaxing and figuring out what your 'next gig' will be!

Lilylou said...

Thanks, EB. Robin, I like publishing your better comments! Make one of those!

Miss Kitty said...

Wow, that's a lot of work in just a few days! My hat's off to you and all your helpers. Congrats, and hugs to you and the kittehs!

Lilylou said...

Just came back from one last jaunt to the old house to take away the leftovers from the clean job. Tomorrow there's a final walk-through and then 1225 is no longer my address.